Friday, September 19, 2008

A Letter to my Daughter

Allison,

This may seem a little (okay maybe a lot) cheesy, but I love reading these kinds of letters.. so I am writing you your first letter.

Today you are two months and 4 days old, almost 9 weeks! I can't believe it's been two months since you entered this world. The moment you were born was one of the most amazing, surreal moments of my life. At first I thought, thank GOD she's out (you didn't make it easy by any stretch of the imagination) !! Then, I just started crying happy tears, because I was so grateful you were here. The minutes it took before I got to see you seemed like an hour. Daddy handed you to me and you were so alert looking right at me. You just wanted to snuggle your mommy, and that hasn't changed in the last two months.

You are really the most beautiful baby I have ever seen. You have these sharp blue gray eyes that you stare very intently with. You have long eyelashes and when you're sleeping I just stare at your eyelashes and hold you and am so glad you are my sweet little baby. You are so curious, and so serious at times. I have half photos of you grinning, half photos of you frowning and staring. If this is any indication of your personality, I think you'll fit right into our family.

My favorite time of the day is right after you wake up. You are so happy to see me you keep smiling even while you're trying to nurse - it's quite cute! Then we lay on the bed and make faces at each other and you tell me some story in baby coos and I tell you a story in English. One day we can talk to each other in the same language. For now though, I am thrilled to hear your little coos. Sometimes you coo at your mobile more than me, and I have to come in and interrupt. Is the frog really more interesting than your mommy?

You love to be snuggled so I wrap you up in your moby, and carry you around on my chest while you nap during the day. We really have a great routine. We eat, snuggle, nap, coo, talk, smile and repeat. When Daddy comes home you always manage to crack another smile and come coos for him. Even if you are in a fussy mood at the time, seeing Daddy usually makes you break into a smile. Daddy sings Billy Joel songs to you and walks all around the house bouncing you, because you like it. Not sure why you like Billy Joel, but you do!

You have a big canine sister Annabelle, and she's quickly become the second fiddle. She does like you and comes running to your side when you're crying and sniffs you and stares at me as if she's say "Fix it please!". I think you'll be good friends as you become a crazy little toddler. When Annabelle barks really loudly out the window you get startled and throw your arms up and cry a little. I have told Annabelle you are going to get her back in a year or so when you start pulling her ears and tail and feet.

You have really shown a side of me that I've never seen before. I am patient, and don't need instant gratification all the time. I don't feel in such a rush anymore. I can just sit back and enjoy the present, enjoy every moment with you because they are going by so quickly. When Daddy, you and I sit together in your room at night reading you a story and rocking you to sleep I feel like this is what it's all about. This is a wonderful life.

I love you Allison,

Love,

Mommy

No comments: